Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Chipotle-Style Barbacoa Beef


In my quest to make Chipotle-style burritos at home, I decided to make Barbacoa beef.
Another thanks to Gina of Skinny Taste for her recipe of Chipotle's Barbacoa beef on behalf of my husband's stomach.  I did modify the recipe in terms of ingredients and directions, but used her recipe as the base.  I rarely make beef (personal preference) as it is generally less lean and heart healthy than my usual vegetarian, fish, or chicken dishes.  However, when you do want to make beef, here is a handy wallet card of the lean cuts of beef.  Feel free to serve this with my cilantro-corn salsa and cilantro-lime rice for a tasty meal.  I hope you enjoy the barbacoa beef in your own burritos, as a sandwich, over rice, or by itself!


Ingredients:
1 lb Beef (round roast--eye, bottom, or top), trimmed of fat
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
2 Tbsp. Minced Onion
1 Tbsp. Lime Juice
2 tsp. Chili Powder
2 tsp. Ground Cumin

1 tsp. Oregano
1 Bay Leaf
1/3 Cup Water


Directions:
1.  Trim fat from meat and cut into 4 inch pieces.  Put in crockpot/slow-cooker.
2.  Pour/place all of the ingredients in slow-cooker.  Turn heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours, or until meat is cooked through.  Remove bay leaf.
3.  Use two forks to pull the meat apart (shred it) once cooked through.  Cover and let cook for another 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.


Enjoy as a spicy sandwich or for the meat in a Chipotle-inspired burrito.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy